If you were thinking of me replicating a banana leaf meal though, you must be looking somewhere else. Rather today i replicated a meal we had that we enjoyed but was so much easier to piece together into a dish.
After having this mesmerising simple pasta dish at Tiamo 2, we wanted to make it again, after all it was tomato paste, eggplant and meatballs, can't be that bad right?
To be honest with you, it wasn't that bad but it was definitely time consuming.
This satisfying dish took me plus minus a good hour and abit to prepare and cook. Why so long you ask?
1. Firstly heat up the oven at 180 degrees. Slice your eggplant and tomatoes, drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper and put it in the oven for 30 minutes. If you like it pungent with garlic, put a garlic bulb drizzled with alot more oil, to prevent it from drying out.
2. Meanwhile, time to make some meatballs. Mix some minced meat (300-400 grams), salt and pepper, worchestire sauce, dried italian herbs (the one out from the bottle), an egg and some bread crumbs (for it form) into a bowl. Go ahead and use your hands, so its all evenly distributed. Prepare to roll the balls out into ping pong ball size.
3. Time to cook your tomato sauce. You could either pick a bottled tomato sauce from the supermarket, we bought one that was on offer for AUD 1. Otherwise, tomato puree would do fine as well. Sweat some onions and garlic then brown your meatballs. Put the tomato sauce in and let it cook. At this time if your vegetables are done, take it out and put it into the sauce. Cook it for a good 15-20 minutes and let it reduce to a thicker texture.
4. Cook your pasta of your choice according to instructions, although i feel if you want al-dente, always take it out a minute or two earlier. Toss it into the sauce and serve.
5. Serve with some grated parmesan or mozarella, depending on preference.
You will realise prep time would take you a good 10-15 minutes, 30 minutes of the oven time to make meat balls and another 20 minutes of cooking the sauce, that is a good hour!
The things i do for cooking a meal. The Wife would have just used the micro oven.
Although surely, it wouldn't have looked so good right?